Who coddles dictators?

Sunday, November 18, 2007

After reading an article on China's support for Iran, I tried to think of all the dictatorships whose regimes enjoy significant political support from China, and those who enjoy significant support from the U.S. The lists I came up with included:

China
Iran
- Syria
- Hezbollah
- Hamas
Pakistan
- Kashmiri militants
Burma
North Korea
Sudan
Zimbabwe
Uzbekistan

U.S.
Pakistan
- Kashmiri militants
Ethiopia
- anti-Eritrean terrorists
Saudi Arabia
Egypt
Kazakhstan

I can't think of any more, but if you can, let me know. There are some marginal or questionable cases...for example, one could argue that Russia (and through Russia, Belarus) is a client state of China...Venezuela, with questionable democratic credentials, could also go in the China column, as could Nepal and Sri Lanka. Similarly, you could put Iraq and Georgia in America's column.

So it looks like China has the edge on the U.S. in terms of nasty client states. In particular, the world's four worst regimes - Sudan, Burma, North Korea, and Zimbabwe - are either totally or largely dependent on China for their survival.

Now the fact that I perceive an imbalance here may be a function of the fact that I live in America and read the American press. The U.S. might provide more support to bad regimes than I know about, and China's influence over many countries may have been overstated. So I guess the evidence isn't watertight, but from where I'm sitting it sure looks like China backs more bad guys than we do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment